Thursday 8 December 2011

My decision to step down has helped skipper Clarke to prepare for India: Ponting


Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting has said that his decision to step down has ensured that long-time deputy and current skipper Michael Clarke will be ready to lead Australia in the Boxing Day Test against India.
Ponting says the call, made after this year's World Cup, has allowed successor Clarke seven Tests as skipper before the massive four-Test home series against India.
"I don't have any regrets about standing down," the Daily Telegraph quoted Ponting, as saying ahead of the second Test against New Zealand.
Ponting added: "I did it because I thought it was the right time and I did it to try and make myself back into the player that I wanted to be. It gave the incoming captain a lot of time to get experience and knowledge under his belt for the next really big series that we play."
"Michael's probably got seven Tests under his belt before a big series so that's good experience for him. He'll be a very experienced captain by the time the big tournaments come around," the 36-year-old ex-skipper said.
"It is a lot of fun actually not being the captain," Ponting said.
He added: "How am I adjusting? Just the same way I was before I was captain, I just want to be the best member of the team I can be."
Ponting insists he is relaxed and comfortable in the days before his 158th Test, especially without the pressure associated with captaincy. 
News Source by:- http://cricket.yahoo.com/news/decision-step-down-helped-skipper-clarke-prepare-india-075625904.html

No comments:

Post a Comment