Thursday 1 December 2011

Johnson says he has 'plenty of cricket left' in him


Australian pace bowler Mitchell Johnson has rejected claims that his Test career is over, and vowed to return to international cricket.
"I'm definitely going to be back. I've heard a few reports that my career's over due to form - not because of this injury ... I just laugh at it. I'm only 30 years old and I've got plenty of cricket left in me. I'm going to take a lot of positives out of this (injury layoff)," The Sydney Morning Herald, as saying.
Johnson's statement came amid suggestions that he was dropped for the opening Test of the summer since he had captured just 13 wickets at 56, before his injury.
He would not play for five months after a doctor indicated he needed a toe surgery.
Australian skipper Michael Clarke said it was disappointing that Johnson would be unavailable for the Test series against New Zealand, India and probably the West Indies, but felt it would help him get fit.
"I don't see it as that big a deal with Mitch.I think it could have a good impact, to be honest. It will give him more time away from the game to clear his head and get himself fit and strong. Injuries I've seen in the past with a few of our players, that time off has helped them come back bigger and better. I think Warney is a great example," he said.
Leg-spinner Shane Warne underwent major surgery on his shoulder problem in 1998, but was instrumental in helping Australia win the 1999 World Cup.
Johnson has taken 190 wickets in 47 Tests, but has been battling to regain form and consistency, after being awarded the 2009 ICC's International Cricketer of the Year.
News source by: http://cricket.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article?id=item/2.0/-/story/cricket.ani.com/johnson-says-he-has-plenty-cricket-left-him-20111201/

No comments:

Post a Comment